Monday, May 24, 2010

How I Found a VW Car Show at a Quicktrip

Yesterday I drove to Riverside, Mo. to see and photograph a car show featuring Volkswagens. It was put on by the Mokan VW Club and according to their web-site there would be "Bugs, Busses and Bicycles on May 21-23, 2010". I am a sucker for such shows as I have owned both a bug and several busses.

I got to the park in Riverside about 9:30am on the 23rd and found only about 3 VW busses. What a small car show, I thought! There were some Boy Scouts camped in the same area. I asked one if this was where the VW car show was and he said, "Most of them left earlier". Great!

I drove into Riverside headed for a great surplus store called NationAL's to at least make my trip worth my time and gas. I spotted a Quicktrip with a low gas price of $2.49.9 per gallon and decided to fill up. I turned in and spotted a large VW dealer sign strapped onto a vintage VW pickup. Wow, must be from the show. I stopped and was taking photos of the sign when a couple of VW busses and a couple of bugs pulled in for gas too. Things were looking up, as far as cheap gas and VW photos go.

I talked to several of the owners of the VW's and they said most of the approximately 150 vehicles at the show on Saturday left that evening or early Sunday. I will have to remember to go on Saturday next year!

Here are photos taken at what I call "The VW Car Show at a Quicktrip".














With a bit of the Luck of the Irish I got some fun VW shots!

See more of my car photos at my smugmug gallery.



No comments:

Post a Comment