Monday, July 26, 2010

Photographers in Movies

I started going to the movies at a very early age to see Saturday Kid Shows at the Varsity Theater in Dallas. I liked westerns, war movies, horror films and Abbott and Costello. I never liked musicals or crime movies, now known as film noir. As I watch old movies these days I have come to appreciate film noir, but not the old fashion musical. I have been photographing scenes in movies if there is a photographer or cameras in the story. A lot of B-movies in the 1930's and 1940's seem to have a newspaper photographer in them. I will post some of these stills I have taken off the big screen now and then. For starters, I am going to show a few frames from one of the best of the film noir style movies, The Big Sleep, 1946. It starred Humphrey Bogart as detective  Philip Marlowe trying to solve a crime or two. He encounters Lauren Bacall as Vivian Rutledge, and has more problems than just solving the murders . Early on, he discovers a camera hidden in an piece of art, a female head. He removes the camera and then takes the film out. Close-ups reveal the camera is a Zeiss Ikon. No way to tell how the camera was triggered to take a photo, after all it is a crime film, not a film about how-to take secret photos. Check the film out some time, you will like it.








No comments:

Post a Comment