Friday, August 20, 2010

Lost & Found in the Photo Archive

Cafe LuLu on 39th Street in Kansas City, Mo.in the early 1990's was a great place to eat. The owner Lou Jane Temple set up an open mike on Monday nights. Many poets, musicians and others came and performed their art. I did a couple of slide shows of some of my photographs, but with live performers in front of the large screen I set up. I had a musician play a sax solo once and another time I had a mime perform in front of the screen as the photos were shown. I got an idea for a performance piece, put it together and got some friends to help out. It was some time after the band Milli Vanilli was caught in a live performance using taped voices. My idea was to perform a Willie Nelson/ Julio Iglesias song called "To All the Girls I've Loved Before", from 1984. I did it just as Milli Vanilli did, with a recorded voice track that got stuck about in the middle of the song. Of course me, as Willie (see photo) and Julio and our backup singers were all flustered and embarrassed. It worked, people in the audience laughed and applauded. My 15 minutes of fame as a performance artist!


This is a poster that Lou Jane (2nd from right in the photo above) had hanging in Cafe LuLu that I was able to get when the cafe closed. It is on the wall in my kitchen.



Did you know that Lou Jane Temple writes culinary mystery novels?



1 comment:

  1. Did you get those glasses from Dr.? in Reefer Madness?

    ReplyDelete