Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sign of the Times

I have located some "lost in the archives" original Sign of the Times images made for The New Times alternative paper in Kansas City, Mo. I had a part time gig with the paper in the early 1990's. I had done some work for The Pitch for about a month and was called to a meeting by the editor at the time, Hearne Christopher, later to write a gossip column for the KC Star. Anyway, Hearne had decided to quit The Pitch and start his own alternative paper. I was one of several staffers who went along for the ride.
I had an idea for a photo column for The New Times and wanted to call it "Sign of the Times. Hearne agreed it would work. I would look for one interesting photo each week to run on the editorial page. Some of the images had signs in them, but it didn't have to, anything interesting and topical at the time could be used. The first two shown here are mock-up's to show how it would look in the paper. I saved many of these for my archives along with the original photo prints.





An original photo used as a Sign of the Times



No comments:

Post a Comment