Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Am Wireless

I am a wireless photographer. I recently acquired a very cool/nifty Eye-Fi Wireless SD memory card. It has a wi-fi transmitter built in. Insert it in a camera after setting it up on a computer with a wifi router and it will transmit the photos to the computer as they are taken by the camera. Pretty amazing.
I tried it with my Panasonic G1 Micro 4/3 camera and it worked as advertised. I really wanted to use it with my Critter Cam/Trail Cam, so I would receive photos as they are taken for my "Critters on My Deck" gallery. I put the SD card in the critter cam and it worked. Pretty neat. I can be sitting at the computer and watch photos of those raccoons on my deck pop up on the desktop. They are then written to a folder/directory of my choice.
Here I am interviewing crow with a wireless microphone as the critter camera takes my photo and transmits it to my Mac.

Later that evening owl came by to be interviewed, the critter camera switched to infra-view and sent this photo to my Mac.

Here is the Eye-Fi SD card, a reader that comes with it and a SD to CF card adapter that I need to use it in my Nikon D300 camera.

Here is the Eye-Fi SD card being inserted into the Panasonic G1.

This is what a photo from the critter camera looks like as it is being downloaded onto the desktop of my Mac.


If you want to see what is inside the Eye-Fi card go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment